Credit: Cards, Reports and Repair
Types of Credit - Credit Cards
- This site, created by the U.S. Citizens for Fair Credit Card Terms, offers over 1,000 credit card descriptions with ratings. Consumers can use this site to evaluate credit card offers from particular vendors or to compare similar offers (Low Introductory Rate, No Credit, etc.)
- CardWeb keeps track of a variety of cards - credit, prepaid phone, ATM - and also offers recent news and useful tools and calculators.
- Federal Reserve Board Shop: Choosing a Credit Card
- This site from the Federal Reserve Board clearly explains various features of credit cards including annual percentage rates and finance charge calculation. Additionally, there is a worksheet provided to help in the comparison of credit card offers.
- Federal Trade Commission - Choosing and Using Credit Cards
- The Federal Trade Commission offers information on a variety of consumer credit issues. This web page offers information specific to choosing and using credit cards.
- The Motley Fool: Interest Rates 101
- The Motley Fool, a multimedia financial education company, offers a consumer-oriented page which explains the different kinds of interest rates available from credit card companies. It also outlines events that can trigger a raise in interest rates by the company.
- AnnualCreditReport.com was created by the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. This site provides a centralized service where consumers are able to request a free credit report from each of the three reporting companies once per year.
- Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft
- This Federal Trade Commission site gives complete information on all aspects of identity theft including immediate steps for victims, methods of resolving specific problems, and ways in which to minimize recurrences. Two helpful items included on this site are The ID Theft Affidavit and The Annual Credit Report Request Form.
- Earn Benefits® Online (Memphis & Shelby County)
- "Seedco is a national community development intermediary organization. Seedco created the EarnBenefits website to help working families learn about important benefits that can supplement their income." Find information on "Repairing Your Credit" on this web page.
- Federal Trade Commission
- The Federal Trade Commission offers information on a variety of consumer credit issues.
National Consumer League's Internet Fraud Watch - Tips for Avoiding Credit Repair Scams
- American's oldest nonprofit consumer organization, the National Consumer League, gives "consumers the information they need to avoid becoming victims of telemarketing and Internet fraud and to help them get their complaints to law enforcement agencies quickly and easily." This website provides tips on avoiding credit repair scams.
- Yahoo Finance: Credit Center
- Yahoo Finance offers basic and frequently asked information on a variety of personal finance and investing topics at this website.