Sometimes in challenging situations, people need legal expertise. Here are some low-cost legal options:
- Community Legal Center
910 Vance Avenue
Provides variety of low-cost legal assistance to low-income area residents, including foreclosure mediation, bankruptcy legal options, landlord/tenant law including help with eviction issues, consumer law, immigration law, juvenile and elder law, uncontested custody and divorce cases, wills and power of attorney. Call for more information.
Call 901-543-3395 Mon - Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm for information; evening hours also on Mondays and first and third Tuesdays by appointment.
- Memphis Area Legal Services, Inc.
Provides wide variety of low-cost legal advice and representation to low-income area residents. Specialized services include
1) Family Law Advice Group (legal information about divorce, parenting plans, mediation and custody)
2) Home Preservation Project (attorneys work with trained foreclosure counselors to help restructure mortgage loans; also works with renters faced with eviction because of landlord's pending mortgage foreclosure)
3) Memphis Fair Housing Center (deals with housing discrimination and landlord/tenant issues)
4) Opportunity Plus Program (for victims of domestic violence)
5) Free Legal Clinics (with Memphis Bar association) at various community locations
109 North Street , Suite 200
Memphis, TN 38103
Main Number - call 901-523-8822 Mon - Fri 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Home Preservation Project - call 901-255-3444
Memphis Fair Housing Center - call 901-432-4663
899-A Highway 51 South
Covington, TN 38019
Call 901-476-1808 Mon - Fri 8:30 am 0 5:00 pm
- Memphis Bar Association - Free Online Legal Information
Provides free online information on various legal topics at legalhelp.memphisbar.org
- Memphis Public Library & Information Center - Legal Collection
The Business/Science Department at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Avenue, 3rd floor, has a reference collection of local, state and national laws and ordinances, and a searchable database of related legal resources.
Call 2-1-1 or the Business/Science Department at 901-415-2734, or look online at www.memphislibrary.org/ftsbc/legalig/lawindex.html .