BRANCHES - NORTH

Highlights of Raleigh Library History

Raleigh 1954 Opening Jimmie Strong, Mrs. Jane Scott, Mrs. Jack Harris, Mrs. S.J. Buckman, Mrs. Elizabeth HinckleyRaleigh 1954 Opening Tom Strong, Charles H. Turner, Mrs. C. H. Turner, Mrs. Elizabeth Hinckley, Mrs S. J. Buckman, Mrs. Hal Bennett, Mr. Ed E. Scott, Ed E. Scott, John Bennett, Harriett Bennett, Mrs. Tom Strong

 

The idea for a library in Raleigh was instigated by the local efforts of the Weeders and Seeders Garden Club. On June 15, 1954, the Raleigh-Bartlett Community Library opened in the Weaver Building on James Road. The library started with 800 donated books that were arranged on shelves made of apple boxes and scrap lumber. 

 

The library was only open eight hours per week, but by December of 1954 the library had grown to 2200 volumes and in the library’s first six months of operation had checked out 2500 books and registered 500 library users!

The following pages tell more about the library's history.