- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Real Estate: Investing and Home Buying
- Free Advice - Legal Advice Site for Consumers
- FreeAdvice.com is intended to offer the most useful, comprehensive, balanced legal information for the public. The topic of real estate is covered here.
- Nolo - Real Estate & Rental Property
- Maintained by the legal publisher Nolo, this web page offers information on real estate topics in lay person language.
Home Buying - Types of Credit - Mortgages
- Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARM)
- A handbook from the Federal Reserve Board that explains adjustable rate mortgages (ARMs), loans "with interest rates that change." Includes descriptions of how ARMs work, questions to consider, a mortgage shopping worksheet and a glossary. Also available in Spanish.
- FDIC: Looking for the Best Mortgage
- This site from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation offers a clear explanation of how to shop for the best mortgage option. The information is also available in Spanish.
- Freddie Mac
- Freddie Mac (Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation) is a privately owned corporation, sponsored by the Federal Government, which works to increase the supply of funds available to mortgage lenders. Their website includes a weekly mortgage survey and great information for homebuyers.
- MortgageLoan combines current news and information, mortgage rates, calculators and broker/lender search tools to create an inclusive site for the prospective homebuyer or investor.
- The Motley Fool: Home Center
- The Motley Fool, a multimedia financial education company, offers a comprehensive overview of the home buying process including reviewing current interest rates, finding the right home, choosing a mortgage, and closing the deal. Particularly helpful is the full range of calculators and the clear explanation of mortgages.
- U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD") - Shopping for a Loan
- The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development explains the different types of lenders and different types of loans available for obtaining financing to purchase a home.
- Welcome Home Memphis
- Welcome Home Memphis was created through a joint partnership between the Memphis Area Association of Realtors and the City of Memphis to identify, develop, advocate and promote homeownership assistance programs. The website offers "comprehensive information on the home buying process and affordable housing programs and services."
- Your Path to Homeownership
- This government site covers all aspects of the home buying process. Especially helpful are the calculators for buying vs. renting, for estimating affordability, and for selecting the best loan option.
- AARP: Reverse Mortgages
- AARP is a nonprofit membership organization of persons 50 and older dedicated to addressing their needs and interests. The section on Reverse Mortgages provides a comprehensive consumer information tutorial.
- ElderWeb, an award-winning site created by consultant and CPA Karen Stevenson, offers an overview of Reverse Mortgages and how they can be used. It also highlights pitfalls to be avoided, including possible predatory lending as it applies to reverse mortgages.
What's New @ Your Memphis Public Library & Information Center
Bring your gently used books to the nearest Memphis Public Library & Information Center location. Proceeds from Friends of the Library book sales benefit the Memphis Public Library & Information Center.