- ABOUT US
- COLLECTIONS A - C
- COLLECTIONS D - M
- COLLECTIONS N - Z
- ONLINE RESOURCES
- LINC 211
- SUPPORT THE LIBRARY
- ASK A QUESTION
- SECOND EDITIONS BOOKSTORE
- COMPUTER CLASSES
- MEETING ROOMS
- PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- TTY SERVICE
- WI-FI ACCESS
- WYPL FM 89.3
- MY ACCOUNT
- HELP / CONTACT
Drug and Pharmaceutical Information
Drugs - Clinical Trials - Prescription Assistance
- Drugs, Supplements, and Herbal Information
Information from MEDLINEplus on prescription, herbal, supplement and over-the-counter medications.
- About Your Medicines
Links to various drug topics provided by MEDLINEplus.
- Drug Digest
A noncommercial evidence-based site that provides information for making choices about drugs and treatment options. Also has a link for checking drug interactions.
- New Medicines in Development
Curious about what new medicines are being tested for a certain illness? This site provides the current status of new drugs in development.
- Food and Drug Administration
Latest regulatory information on food, drugs, biologics, cosmetics, medical devices, and radiological health.
- Drugs and Lactation Database
"A peer-reviewed and fully referenced database of drugs to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. Among the data included are maternal and infant safe levels of drugs, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternate drugs to consider."
- Buying Medical Products Online
"Thinking of buying prescriptions or over-the-counter drugs online? Is it safe? How can you tell if a website that sells medical products is legitimate? What is the FDA doing to stop sites that are breaking the law? What should you know before you buy medical products online?"
- The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP®)
A professional association that represents the state boards of pharmacy in all 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, New Zealand, nine Canadian Provinces, and four Australian states. In response to public concern about the safety of pharmacy practices on the Internet, the association developed the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS) program in the spring of 1999. To be VIPPS certified, a pharmacy must comply with the licensing and inspection requirements of their state and each state to which they dispense pharmaceuticals. In addition, pharmacies displaying the VIPPS seal must have demonstrated to NABP their compliance with VIPPS criteria including patient rights to privacy, authentication and security of prescription orders, adherence to a recognized quality assurance policy, and provision for meaningful consultation between patients and pharmacists.
Free drug index with search capabilities - can be used for brand name, generic name or category.
“ClinicalTrials.gov provides regularly updated information about federally and privately supported clinical research using human volunteers. ClinicalTrials.gov gives you information about a trial's purpose, who may participate, locations and phone numbers for more details.”
- IFPMA Clinical Trials Portal
The International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA) designed this portal “as a single entry allowing you to search for comprehensive information on on-going clinical trials (registry) or results of completed trials (database) conducted by the innovative pharmaceutical industry.”
- Healthy People Library Project - Health Resources - Recommended Resources - Clinical Trials
The American Association for the Advancement of Science’s Healthy People Library Project provides information on clinical trials at this web site.
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance brings together national and local organizations to help low-income, uninsured patients get free or nearly free medicines. For the Tennessee page of the Partnership for Prescription Assistance, click here.
- Needy Meds
Some drug manufacturers offer assistance to people who can't afford to buy the drugs they need. Find information about some of these programs here.
Allows searching for patient assistance programs that can help those who can't afford the medications they need.
Search the Health Information Center
FDA MedWatch Drug Alerts
- Clinical Specialties Compounding Pharmacy Products: Recall - All Sterile Products Recalled Due To Lack of Sterility Assurance
- Avastin Unit Dose Syringes by Clinical Specialties: Recall - Potential For Serious Eye Infection
- Med Prep Consulting Inc. Compounded Products: Recall - Potential Mold Contamination
- Incretin Mimetic Drugs for Type 2 Diabetes: Early Communication - Reports of Possible Increased Risk of Pancreatitis and Pre-cancerous Findings of the Pancreas
- Night Bullet: Recall - Undeclared Drug Ingredient
Free Prescription Discount Card
Have questions about the City of Memphis Prescription Discount Card? Get information and download a card here.
Health Information Center Online
- In the News
- Local and National Health Events
- General Health Concerns, Diseases, Medical Conditions, Tests, & Diagnosis
- Doctor and Medical Facilities Locator
- Local Health Information
- Drug and Pharmaceutical Information
- Surgeries, Procedures and Tests
- Self Help
- Health Magazines and Newsletters
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Health Statistics
- Health Resources for Diverse Ethnic and Cultural Populations
- Legal Health Issues
- Managed Care, Insurance, HMOs, TennCare, etc.
- Mental Health
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Children's Health
- Seniors' Health
Seven criteria are used to select health sites for inclusion here.
For the full explanation of our selection criteria and the Honor Code, visit our Selection Criteria page.